Are you looking for a fun and challenging drinking game to play with your friends? Look no further than “Ride the Bus,” a popular card game that’s sure to get the party started! In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the basics of how to play Ride the Bus, as well as some variations and rules to keep the game interesting.
How to Play Ride the Bus
To play Ride the Bus, you’ll need a standard deck of 52 playing cards and some drinks. Here’s how to get started:
- Shuffle the deck and deal four cards face down in a row. These cards will be the “bus” that players will try to ride.
- Deal three cards face down to each player. These will be their “hand” cards.
- The goal of the game is to correctly guess the color or suit of the cards in the “bus” row. If you guess correctly, you can give out drinks to the other players. If you guess incorrectly, you have to take drinks.
- To start the game, flip over the first card in the “bus” row. The player to the left of the dealer guesses whether the next card in the row will be red or black. If they’re correct, they can give out two drinks. If they’re wrong, they have to take two drinks.
- The game continues in this manner, with players taking turns guessing whether the next card will be higher or lower, or whether it will be a specific suit. The game ends when all the cards in the “bus” row have been flipped over.
- At the end of the game, the player with the most cards in their hand has to “ride the bus.” This means they have to flip over the four cards in the “bus” row, one at a time. For each card that doesn’t match the player’s guess, they have to take drinks. If they get all four cards wrong, they have to finish their drink.
Variations and Rules
Here are some variations and rules you can use to make Ride the Bus more challenging or interesting:
- Double or nothing: Instead of taking or giving out two drinks, players can choose to go “double or nothing” and guess again. If they’re correct, they can give out four drinks. If they’re wrong, they have to take four drinks.
- Jokers: Include the two jokers in the deck and make them wild cards. Players can guess that the next card will be a joker, and if they’re correct, they can give out four drinks.
- Half deck: Remove all the cards below a certain value (e.g. 6 or 7) to make the game faster and more challenging.
- Categories: Instead of guessing the color, suit, or value of the next card, players can choose a category (e.g. types of animals, colors, cities, etc.) and then take turns naming things in that category. The first player who can’t come up with a new item has to take drinks.
Ride the Bus is a fun and easy-to-learn drinking game that’s perfect for parties or game nights with friends. Whether you stick to the basic rules or mix it up with some variations, it’s sure to provide hours of entertainment (and maybe a few hangovers!). Just remember to drink responsibly and have fun!